As you consider the endless possibilities of activities and events you could do this fall, we encourage you to reserve Nov 4-6, 2016 on your calendar and plan to join us in Cedar Rapids, IA for the Region Youth Event 2016. This event is a fantastic opportunity to connect with other youth in the region, hear some powerful messages, worship, laugh and most importantly praise God.
Our theme is LIFELOCK. Secure Your Identity in Christ.
Guest Speaker is Tom Henderson with Restoration Generation. A concert Friday night and worship will be led by Blank Pages. Special guest Hip Hop Artist Tru Serva will join us on Saturday and Sunday.
New this year are break out sessions. Two time periods of sessions will be offered. Each session will last about 45 min. Some sessions will be longer and occupy both time slots. These are some of the sessions that will be offered:
·#1 College Planning-- with a Thrivent Financial Rep Applying for, getting accepted and then understanding FAFSA, Grants, Scholarships and more, learn the lingo, and ways to be financially better prepared for college.
· #2 Do One Thing Differently- with a Thrivent Financial Rep Start talking about just one thing you can do differently to improve your financial life. Whether you choose to start simply or take a big first step, you’ll see how the benefits can add up. With eight topics to choose from, there is one for everyone.
·#3 Musicians, Songwriters & Singers: Utilizing Your Talents for God-with Steve Oliver This workshop will not only visit who we are as creatives, but who we are in God and how we are to use those gifts he's given us. Steve Oliver will touch on how to go about serving God utilizing the gifts of singing, playing an instrument, and songwriting. There will be techniques mixed with purpose and goals for making sure that you are cherishing what God has granted and not throwing it to the wind. So, come one, come all singers, musicians, anyone who plays an instrument, and songwriters. We will learn together how God wants us to show his glory through the gifts he's bestowed upon us.
· #4 Human Trafficking - with DJ Steen This issue isn’t something happening across the globe. It is a problem right here in our state. Come learn more about who is at risk, and what you can do to help.
· #5 Is “Christian Athlete” an oxymoron?- with Rev. Josh Meyer We’ll talk about how to honor God on and off the field and help you figure out how to be an example to your teammates while remaining“cool” and playing to the MAX.
· #6 Prayer Journaling- with Dina Brake Not just for organizing prayer requests, use Prayer Journaling as a way to become intentional with praying to God. Record scripture, give thanks, offer questions to God in a book that you can look back on in years to come.
·#7 Holy Yoga- with Jessie Lowe Holy Yoga is the intentional practice of connecting our entire being with God, to honor and glorify Him. When we breathe and move and rest in the freedom of Christ, we are able to find ourselves in the flow of His magnificence.
· #8 You Are What You Tweet or Post- with Rev. Regan Stoops What to post? Oversharing? What is a digital footprint? Are you being real? Would God approve? We’ll dig into these topics and more social media etiquette to ensure your online presence is safe. Use it wisely and you will reap the benefits. Abuse it, or disregard its importance, and you will eventually face the consequences.
· #9 Scripture Paintings- with Katrina Martin and Dina Brake Using a piece of scripture important to you as your inspiration, spend time making it into a piece of art. Canvas and painting supplies will be provided. **This workshop will take up both session times.
· #10 Blankets for Murrow Indian Children Help create fleece tie blankets for the children at Murrow.
· #11 gLOVEbox Bundles Put together care packages for homeless people to hand out to those on the street corner or send to a homeless shelter.
·#12 The MAXLIFE- with Rev. Josh Meyer There are two teams in life that you can choose to be a part of. Which team do you choose.
· #13 Re-Framing Missions - Real Change for the Real World.- with Rev. Jeff Buscher In the Spirit of the books - “When Helping Hurts” & “Toxic Charity” We will discuss how to engage in service to others that is both thoughtful and beneficial for those serving and those being served. We will look at effective practices for creating sustainable change in local and international communities. Using methods from "Asset Based Community Development and Cultural Awareness and Sensitivity.
·#14 GROSS, WEIRD, TRUE: Remove the Poop- with Toby Bartlett A look at one of the stranger rules of God from the old testament (Deuteronomy 23:12-4; 1 Peter 1:13-16) examining what it teaches us about God’s holiness.
NEW WORKSHOP ADDED! "3 Dimensional Living." Fundamentals, Psychology (Relationships), Heart (for Jesus Christ)... We will focus on the second and third dimension. These can be adapted to the Christian Lifestyle. The decisions we make today determine the stories we tell tomorrow. Our youth can make a decision to Our youth can build relationships with other people. Christianity is about a relationship not about religion. What is our "identity?" What does "respect" mean for a Christian? How do we handle "intolerance?" Once having relationships, we can share the love of Jesus Christ. When we know that Christ loves each of us and we have a personal relationship with Him, we can share that relationship with others. It can be intentional. We can take the love of Christ into our school, our activities, and our home. We can be Christ-followers 100% of the time, not jsut on Sundays or Wednesday nights.
There may be a few additions to these sessions.
On your registration form, please indicate your top three choices. Upon arrival you will sign up for the ones you will participate in.
The Church on Northland 5200 Northland Ave NE Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Join us on Sundays! Coffee Fellowship 9:00 AM Worship at 10:15 AM